Saturday 14 December 2019

The children taught me a lesson....



It is the end of a school year. Tests, Christmas play, party and end of term-itus have been all consuming for a few weeks but the best story of the season actually comes from some children who I take to school.

Skies over Lusaka

Four of the five children I take to school



Every day 5 children come with me from where I live to school. Two weeks ago on the way home we were talking about the rain. One of the children knew that if the rain didn’t come it would mean there is no food.

Almost flippantly I said “yes, we need to pray for the rain”
The children responded in a chorus of “Yes Teacher Abi, Yes” and then they proceeded to pray for rain. An impromptu prayer meeting in the car.
As they started praying the sky was blue with a few white fluffy clouds.

The whole school



Cooking lesson


It takes about 10 minutes to get home from school. As we reached home Daniel pointed into the sky. “Teacher Abi, look!” and up on the horizon was a big dark cloud.
Of course it hadn’t started to rain yet and in my head I thought, we have had dark clouds but they don’t bring the rain.

Fast forward a few hours. How wrong was I!?
It poured.
It rained all night long.

The next morning I totally forgot to say anything but as the children got into the car at the end of the school day Blessing had remembered. “Teacher Abi, we prayed and it rained. We need to pray again”
Joy added “yes, and there were TWO rainbows and rainbows show us Gods love”
So began the second car prayer meeting, which happened every day for the next 2 weeks and included lots and lots of thanks.
Children waiting after lunch


Rain!



Since then the rains have truly come to Lusaka. It has just rained for 36 hours solidly.
My last blog talked about the need for rain.
We are so thankful it has finally started and these children have learnt one of the most important lessons of their lives and then thanked God from the bottom of their hearts!


No comments:

Post a Comment